Charged with a sex offense in North Carolina? Call Attorney Lindsey Granados TODAY to discuss your options. Felony sex offenses like rape and statutory rape are incredibly complex and difficult cases, because of the subject matter, and the alleged victims involved.
The North Carolina Statutes identify the elements of 1st and 2nd degree forcible rape as :
14-27.22. Second-degree forcible rape
(a) A person is guilty of second-degree forcible rape if the person engages in vaginal intercourse with another person:
(1) By force and against the will of the other person; or
(2) Who has a mental disability or who is mentally incapacitated or physically helpless, and the person performing the act knows or should reasonably know the other person has a mental disability or is mentally incapacitated or physically helpless.
(b) Any person who commits the offense defined in this section is guilty of a Class C felony.
14-27.21. First-degree forcible rape
A person is guilty of first-degree forcible rape if the person engages in vaginal intercourse with another person by force and against the will of the other person, and does any of the following:
(1) Uses, threatens to use, or displays a dangerous or deadly weapon or an article which the other person reasonably believes to be a dangerous or deadly weapon.
(2) Inflicts serious personal injury upon the victim or another person.
(3) The person commits the offense aided and abetted by one or more other persons.
Any person who commits the offense defined in this section is guilty of a Class B1 felony.
Often, law enforcement and prosecutors will charge multiple felonies to potentially increase the overall punishment that someone might face if convicted. Even a person with no record is potentially facing prison time for these offenses!
It is essential to have an experienced sex offense attorney on your side, walking you through the often long and difficult legal process. Attorney Granados is a trial lawyer who will fight for you! Call 919-650-2851 to set up a time to consult with her today!